One of my favorite dishes was the fried banana. It was so simple but it was something that I had never even considered before. So of course, I had to put a Paleo spin on it when I made it myself.
Paleo Fried Bananas
- Bananas, slightly green (as many as you feel like eating. 1 per person)
- Coconut oil
- Ghee, optional
- Add 2 tbsp coconut oil and 1 tbsp ghee (or 3 tbsp coconut oil) to a pan on medium heat, or 1/4 inch of oil in your pan. (I used a small pan)
- While the oil heats, peel your bananas.
- Slice bananas into coins, about 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick.
- Gently place them in the oil. The slices can touch.
- Let them 'fry' for 3-4 min. per side. If you try to turn them and they are sticking, they aren't ready.
- Gently remove them from the pan and place them on a plate lined with a paper towel.
- They will be a little soft but as they cool and dry, the banana slices will crisp up.
- Sprinkle the slices with cinnamon and drizzle with honey. Serve as dessert or skip the cinnamon and honey and serve them alongside your meal.
So simple. I made them on a whim and my boyfriend LOVED them. It's not a typical american dish but it's not so 'weird' that people won't be willing to try it... and love it!
Try it out and let me know what you think!