blankhomedotaboutdotrecipedothealthdotlifestyleblank

August 31, 2013

2013 LuRong Paleo Challenge Preparation

"Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it. And then don't let anything get you off track."

So, it's the night before the 2013 LuRong Paleo Challenge and I am starting to round up everything that I am going to need for the eight weeks to come. That being said, if you want to join in the ''fun'' and haven't signed up already- GET TO IT! You have until midnight tonight... We're changing our lives ova' here (said in a Boston Accent)!

A lot of people shy away from eating "Paleo" because it is too expensive or because they can't seem to quit the carbs. I have read several books about the Paleo Diet (Rob Wolf's books and Wheat Belly, among others) and education and preparation are key in being successful with the Paleo Diet.

First off, the whole "It's too expensive to eat that way" excuse. 
  • Personally, I prefer Trader Joes for inexpensive, organic food items- they have it all! I was able to get a ton of groceries there, that adhere to the Lurong Challenge rules, for under $100 (okay, $2 under $100, but still not bad!). I also really enjoy their Malbec Red Wine that they sell and is under $5! Can't beat those prices ANYWHERE. 
Next, the whole "I have to eat carbs" excuse. 
  • I love pasta and bread as much as the next person, however I also have done enough reading to know that it is not the best choice for us. Check out "Wheat Belly" by William Davis, Md.  The author advocates a wheat-free diet and shows scientific evidence of the benefits that his patients have experienced. The positive results from cutting grains from their diet were especially prominent in Diabetes patients. Our insulin levels spike the same way from eating a candy bar as it does eating something "whole grain." During the Lurong Paleo challenge, no wheat or dairy products are allowed. However, after the challenge is over, I will go back to using quoina, instead of rice and whole grain pasta every now and then. Shoot, I'm dating an Italian! Everything in moderation; that's my motto. 
Here's a list of what I've got so far:
    • Coconut Oil, Milk (Unsweetened) and flakes (Unsweetened, organic)
    • Olive Oil (Light and Extra Virgin)
    • Flaxseed oil/meal/seeds
    • Almond Flour/Milk (Unsweetened Vanilla)
    • Smoked Salmon
    • Wild Caught Salmon Fillets
    • Precooked Chicken Breasts
    • Frozen Chick Breasts
    • Frozen Jumbo Shrimp
    • Avocado
    • Plums
    • Bacon
    • Turkey Sausage
    • Eggs (Straight from my Parent's Farm- doesn't get much fresher!)
    • Trail Mix (Almond, Pistachios & Cranberries)
    • Hard-boiled eggs
    • Spinach
    • Bell Peppers
    • Brussel Sprouts
    • Pork Chops
    • Chuck Roast
    • Tomatoes
    • Salmon Jerky- I'll let you know how it is!
    • Olives
    • Mushrooms
    • Onions
    • Edamame
    • Frozen Fruit
    • Red Wine!
    • Green Tea bags
I am beyond excited to get started with this challenge and see how it changes my body and my mindset.  My goals for the duration of this challenge are to limit the temptations and keep a strict regimen so that I can lose a couple of pounds and tone up. Abs are made in the kitchen, so I hear, and I want to be able to have some more defined abs by next summer- but sooner wouldn't hurt (; Throughout this Challenge I want to push my body to it's limits and make it the best that it can be. I'm not getting any younger and I sure as hell won't get any healthier unless I bust my butt, which I fully plan on doing.

Tomorrow I will weigh in, get my measurements and workout. I will be keeping track of what I eat, my weight/measurements and what I am doing to work out (WOD's, run, bike, etc.) over the course of the next two months. I have never done 100% Paleo, 24/7, let along for 8 weeks. I am a little nervous but also extremely excited to see how I change and improve.

Stay tuned for more on my Journey!!



xoxo Jessica

P.S. I feel kind of crappy because I have spent the past few days eating things that I can't eat for the next two month (i.e. beer, pancakes, sushi, pasta...). Time to detox!


No comments:

Post a Comment