blankhomedotaboutdotrecipedothealthdotlifestyleblank

October 18, 2013

Week 5: More than halfway over!

I cannot believe that I have been doing this challenge for 5 weeks. I am more than halfway through and it is getting easier and easier to abide by the strict Paleo guidelines. I try not to eat out, simply to avoid temptation. But when I do eat out I actually do quite well. I usually know where I'm going beforehand and check out the menu so I already know what I am getting and there are no surprises. Like I've said before, being successful with any 'diet' program requires lots and lots of PLANNING.

This week my box completed the 6th WOD for the LuRong Paleo Challenge and I tried out some more new recipes.

LuRong Challenge WOD #6
100 single jump-ropes and then,
5 rounds:
10 power cleans. #85
10 hand release push-ups

  • Completed in 9:02
  • Level II
    • Once again, I was super bummed that I had to do level II. However, in level III I would have had to be able to do ring dips without a band, and I just can't... yet.


Favorite Recipe of the Week:  Paleo Chicken Parmesan with Zucchini 'Noodles'


Photo Credit-Paleo Made Painless

Ingredients:

For the chicken

  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 c. flaxseed meal
  • 1/2 c. almond meal
  • Spices of choice (I used black pepper, cayenne and a little sea salt)
  • 2-4 chicken breasts (I did 4 because I love leftovers)
  • Coconut or olive oil for 'frying'
For the 'noodles'
  • 4-6 zucchinis (use 6 if you are making 4 chicken breasts)
For the sauce
  • 1 large can of crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce
    • I like to buy unseasoned sauce and create my own. But you can also just buy a jar of already prepared sauce
  • 2 tbsp. minced garlic *don't need to add if using jarred sauce
  • Olive oil
  • Spices of choice *don't need to add if using jarred sauce (I used lots of basil, parsley, cayenne, garlic salt, oregano)
Instructions:
First, you will want to start your sauce. If you are using a jarred sauce, I would still go ahead and let it heat up. For your own sauce, you will start by adding 2 tbsp. of olive oil to a hot pan (medium low). Then, add your garlic and wait until it just starts to brown before adding the crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce. Then, stir in your spices. The amount and type of spices used are dependent upon what you like, personally. I use a ton of basil and then a lesser amount of everything else, and continuously taste it until it's where I want it.

Next, start your chicken. Start by heating up a skillet large enough for a couple of your chicken breasts to medium heat. Once the pan is hot, coat the bottom of the pan with your favorite cooking oil- I used coconut oil.  The best setup for breading your chicken is to have two bowls- one with the almond and flaxseed meal (and spices) and one with the eggs. Beat the eggs and make sure the dry ingredients are mixed well together. First dip the chicken in the egg, then transfer it over to the dry mix, making sure to evenly coat the chicken breast in the dry ingredients. Once the chicken breast is completely covered, add it carefully to the hot oil. Repeat this process for the next piece of chicken.



While the chicken is cooking, you can start your noodles. Wash your zucchinis and then, using a julianne peeler, peel all of your zucchinis. I recently purchased a julianne peeler, myself and am in LOVE with it. You can make virtually any vegetable into a noodle. This is the set that I got.


The chicken should take 20-25 minutes to cook, flipping once. Once the chicken is complete, place it on a plate with a paper towel, this will catch any access oil. While the chicken is cooling, in the pan that you cooked the chicken in, add the zucchini noodles. I prefer cooking in one pan when possible, however if you prefer to cook yours in a separate pan, I totally understand. I just hate dishes. Toss the zucchini to coat with the remaining oil, add more if necessary. Saute the noodles for about 5 minutes and then transfer them directly to a plate. Add a piece of chicken on top, and then ladle some sauce over everything. Presto! Chicken Parmesan, minus the parmesan ;)

Let me know if you try this recipe and how yours turned out!
signature

No comments:

Post a Comment